I’ve often heard the phrase “Be the hands and feet of Jesus.” It’s not a verse at all. It’s not in the bible. It likely stems from 1 Corinthians 12:27, “Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.” (KJV)
The phrase gets me thinking, though. Personally, it reminds me of Mark 16:15, “Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.” (KJV) I need to go out there and tell the people about Jesus. How much He loves them. How God sent his son to die for our sins. Frankly, for me, it’s hard. I am a 100% pure-bred bundle of introvertedness. For that, I don’t feel like His hands and feet. Often, I feel like His appendix or tonsils. You don’t use those things. You don’t need them. They even cause problems and have to be removed more times than not. I don’t feel like I’m serving a purpose for His kingdom. I’m not following his instructions. (Sigh…and sip of coffee)
It’s not in my character to start up a conversation with someone. It’s awkward for me. Like, “Hey, I notice you are buying a 12-pack. Did you know Jesus loves you just the way your are…sober?” Yeah, see. It’s awkward for me.
I’ve thought hard about possible ways I can successfully live 1 Corinthians 12:27 and do Mark 16:15, being the personality that I am. If you are an introvert, or an appendix, maybe you can run with some of these ideas, too:
- Don’t deny Him. When you are asked a direct question where you can glorify God, do it!
- “JP, do you have that report ready?”
- Yes, I prayed over it and feel it’s ready. Here you go. Have a blessed day.”
You didn’t have to start the conversation. You were asked a question. Arrange your answer so that God is intertwined in it. Leave no doubt that He lives in you and make them want that!
- Make good choices. Well, that seems simple. It’s actually not that easy. We are purposefully tempted. Satan knows our buttons to push. Remember, you never know who is watching. You can be a witness with your actions.
- Wear Jesus. In other words, be like a car. I can tell a lot from the owner of a car based on their bumper stickers. Instead of ‘Baby on Board’ you got ‘Jesus on Board’. Christian t-shirts are out there and affordable. (No talking required. Yay.)
- Use your spiritual gifts. I’ve taken the spiritual gifts test many times (because, you know, I often feel like the appendix). I always score high in service and encouraging others. These gifts are gifted to you once you are saved. You are given them for a reason. What better way to follow His instructions than with gifts he hand-picked just for you!
Those are just a few ideas to help out when we are feeling useless and without purpose. You have a purpose! I have a purpose! We have instructions to follow. No appendectomy required.
JP/Grace and Pink